History of Thoresby Park
Thoresby Park has been owned by the Pierrepont family since 1633. The family takes a full and active part in the management of the many enterprises, which keep Thoresby well maintained, enabling it to survive for the next generation.
The park was laid out in the 17th century in a formal, geometric, Jacobean style. This was subsequently softened and rounded on the advice of Humphrey Repton and Nesfield, all of whom we must thank for most of the mature landscape that we now enjoy.
The family has built 3 houses in the park, the first, a Jacobean mansion, was burnt down. The second, designed by Carr of York was demolished to make way for Anthony Salvin’s Thoresby Hall, built by the 3rd Earl Manvers in 1860.
Thoresby Park Today
Thoresby remains the picture of a traditional country Estate; its’ parkland exhibits all the grandeur of days long gone. However, beneath all this lies the true Thoresby of the present day; a business, a home and a community.
The park is surrounded by several thousand acres of farmland and forestry, employing 50 regular staff. The majority live here and regard it as their home; many spend their working lives on the Estate.
The Estate acts as a guardian of Listed Buildings and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The Estate Office and the Home Farm Office are in the village of Perlethorpe, where the Agent and Farm Manager and other Estate staff are based.
The Estate is a partner in the Sherwood Hideaway luxurious holiday lodge development on the Estate and has a number of commercial tenants including an Antique Centre, Equestrian Centre and a Paintball site.